Chappies Cherries – The Health Benefits of Cherries
Sweet cherries are not just delicious and pretty, including them in your diet can have some great health benefits too!
- Cherries are low in kilojoules, containing no fat and no cholesterol.
- Cherries can be helpful in maintaining healthy blood pressure – they’re a good source of potassium and do not contain sodium.
- Cherries are rich in antioxidants, (particularly anthocyanins), which help our body fight damage caused by free radicals – the nasties which contribute to inflammation and disease.
- Cherries contain natural anti-inflammatories which may assist in lowering the risk of gout and gout attacks.
- One serve of cherries (100g) can provide over 40% of our daily needs of vitamin C, which helps to keep our immune system strong.
- Cherries can provide a good source of rehydration and nutrition properties which may to help the body recover from exercise-induced muscle damage.
- Cherries are ranked with a low Glycaemic Index (GI), meaning they are slowly digested and absorbed, causing a slower and smaller rise in blood sugar levels. An ideal snack for everyone, including those with diabetes.
- Cherries are a good source of fibre, great for our inner health!