FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There’s no need to book your tickets in advance, just arrive when it suits you. Be mindful it can become extremely busy on weekends so if you’re able to visit mid-week it can make for a quieter U-pick experience.
U-pick entry fee is $15 per adult ($7.50 for primary school kids and free entry for pre-schoolers) PLUS $15 per kg of fruit picked to take home. Your entry fee includes raspberries, blackberries and krimsonberries – fruits subject to availability. You are welcome to eat some berries whilst you’re picking them! Unfortunately, due to 2020’s COVID19 restrictions we are currently unable to open U-pick cherries.
During the season we are open every day from 9am until 5pm, with last U-pick tickets sold at 4pm daily. We are closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. Any changes to our opening times are updated on our Facebook and website pages.
You are welcome to bring your own containers for U-pick, but we do provide containers for your berries and we provide a strong reusable, recyclable plastic bag for your cherries.
No, we do not sell cherry trees. We recommend you consult your nearest reliable plant nursery that stocks fruit trees, as they will be able to advise the best varieties for the growing conditions in your area.
We have gift vouchers available for you to purchase. Gift vouchers may be redeemed for U-pick entry, shop sales or the purchase of U-picked fruit from Chappies farm shop. T&C apply.
No dogs or other pets are permitted on the farm. Registered Assistance Dogs ARE permitted.
We have disabled parking allocated, however you are advised that the farm ground is uneven and in places a little steep for access with a wheelchair or if your mobility is impaired.
In the interests of keeping areas clear for everyone’s enjoyment we do not permit picnics. No food or alcohol is to be brought onto the farm. There are some nice local cafes nearby and the Silvan Reservoir Park is just a few kms from Chappies, which makes for an ideal picnic spot with bbq facilities (including a great playground for the kids!) for you to enjoy before or after you have visited Chappies.
Kids are very welcome at Chappies but they must be supervised at all times by a responsible adult.
As the ground around the farm can be uneven, we recommend wearing suitable footwear. It’s best to check the weather forecast on the day of your visit, and come prepared accordingly with your sunscreen and hat for warmer days and warm coat for colder days.
Yes you can! We do not use any dangerous chemicals or sprays on our fruit, so they are safe to eat directly from the tree.
We have a farmgate shop where you can purchase freshly picked cherries and a variety of berries; our locally made Chappies jams; locally sourced honey; freshly picked lemons and locally sourced apricots (subject to availability) as well as a variety of cool drinks.
We do not have a café at Chappies, but there are several cafes in the nearby towns of Monbulk, Seville and Mt Evelyn. We do recommend The Barn Owl Café, 1 Parker Road Silvan, just 1.5km from Chappies.
The prices of freshly picked cherries for sale in our shop vary according to cherry size and availability. Cherries can be purchased in 1kg punnets, also 2kg and 5kg boxes.
We have various varieties of sweet cherries, as well as morello (sour) cherries, raspberries and blackberries available for U-pick. Please check our Facebook page and website for seasonal updates regarding availability.
The best way is by car! Chappies is approximately 1 hour drive east of Melbourne from the CBD.
Public transport is very limited, particularly on weekends. If you choose public transport, you’re best advised to catch either the Belgrave line train to Belgrave and then a taxi or Uber to Chappies (approximately 25 minute drive). Alternatively, the Lilydale line train to Lilydale and then a taxi or Uber to Chappies. Both train stations do have a bus service (bus #663) via Parker Road, however you will need to walk approximately 1.8km along Parker Road to Chappies. Parker Road does not have a footpath and therefore it is not the safest option.
Drones are not permitted.
Chappies is a working farm, and we want everyone to remain safe at all times. With this in mind, we ask visitors to be mindful of the following:
- Visitors to U-pick are to remain in the designated U-pick area and not walk around the farm;
- Entry to the U-pick area is by our own small buses. For your safety you are not permitted to enter or leave by walking to/from the carpark;
- No smoking or vaping permitted on the farm premises;
- Children are to be supervised by a responsible adult at all times;
- No scooters or bikes permitted on the farm;
- Appropriate footwear is to be worn. We recommend comfortable closed-toe shoes (no high heels, thongs or open sandals);
- No picnics or bbq’s;
- No alcohol or glass to be brought onto the farm;
- Please use bins provided at the farmgate shop and carpark. Refrain from littering our lovely farm and do not drop tissues, hand wipes, soiled nappies, food wrappers, coffee cups, drink bottles etc;
- No food or drink to be consumed on our U-pick buses;
- We retain the right to not permit prams or strollers being taken to U-pick and/or on our U-pick buses during busy periods;
- No climbing trees or fences or entering dam areas;
- No pets (Registered Assistance Dogs permitted);
- Drones are not permitted;
- Always remain aware of moving vehicles and farm equipment on site